We get so heated about these finds, in fact, that we decided it was time to start assembling them into a living, breathing, frequently-updated roundup of what we’re calling our “Shopping team MVPs” — those hands-down, no-foolin’ solid purchases that embody the much sought-after combination of competitive price, function, and sheer appeal. We put our heads together and assembled a list encompassing all of our shopping “beats” — fashion, lifestyle, home, and beauty (plus a few wild cards) — to create a short list of product suggestions that all clock in under $100. Click through to see what’s getting the Shopping team’s seal of approval this month.
We’re here to help you navigate this overwhelming world of stuff. All of our market picks are independently selected and curated by the editorial team.

Everlane Cheeky Straight Jean
“I haven't hit ‘add to cart’ on these just yet, but my twin sister just got a pair of Everlane's Cheeky Straight jeans (their answer to the iconic Levi’s Wedgie), and I'm right behind her. The slim boyfriend fit is comfy (and cute!) and I love that it's available in ankle length for us petite ladies. (There’s tall sizing for the 5'10 and up crowd — which, what is that even like?)”
— Karina Hoshikawa, Beauty and Wellness Market Writer
Everlane The Cheeky Straight Jean, $, available at Everlane

H&M Conscious Collection Turtleneck Sweater
"This recycled polyester sweater from H&M's Conscious Collection is the type of oversized cozy knit I'd wear a few times a week paired with white jeans and boots or thrown over my prized vintage Pleats Please pencil skirt. It's a no-brainer Monday - Sunday winter accouterment."
— Marissa Rosenblum, Senior Shopping Director
H&M Knit Turtleneck Sweater, $, available at H&M

Deadstock Stan Ray Jacket
“I recently purchased a deadstock quilted liner jacket from this Texas-based eBay seller, and now I find myself checking their shop for new arrivals on a weekly basis. My next purchase may be one of these Stan Ray chore jackets — if I can find space for another piece of outerwear in my closet.”
— Emily Ruane, Fashion Editor
Stan Ray Duck Canvas Chore Coat, $, available at eBay

100% Organic Cold Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil
“Aside from my actual work computer and a pinned photo of *NSYNC’s Chris Kirkpatrick (yes, actually), The Ordinary’s new chia seed face oil has become an essential desk staple of mine. A couple drops applied mid-day instantly rehydrates my skin after being exposed to dry office air, while also making my foundation or concealer look freshly-applied.”
— Karina
The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil, $, available at Ulta

Flight 001 5-in-1 Universal Adapter
“After spending a month on sabbatical traveling Europe, I can state with confidence that my packing MVP was this adapter — its little frame packs a cute multicolored punch with 5-in-1 adapting abilities for over 150 different countries (although I only went to five).”
— Liz
Flight 001 5-in-1 Universal Adapter, $, available at Shopbop
XYD Pointed Toe Ankle Booties
“I'll be honest, this is the third time I will have featured these boots in a story this week. I love the heel height, elongated shape, and wraparound buckle, and the subtle sheen on this deep navy colorway.”— Emily
XYD Pointed Toe Ankle Booties, $, available at Amazon

Black Leopard Jacquard Skirt
"Up until now, I have resisted jumping onto the leopard midi skirt bandwagon but this new black on black jacquard style at Shopbop has me pretty close to getting on board. I can picture it with a black oversized sweater and pair of brown soft leather knee-high boots...and once I start vision boarding an outfit, it's usually game over for my wallet."
— Marissa
re:named Leopard Jacquard Midi Skirt, $, available at Shopbop

Insta Dri Nail Color
“I'm somewhat of a nail polish connoisseur (my party trick is identifying polish names by looking at them; I'm quite good at the Essie ones), but Sally Hansen's Insta Dri formula is my favorite cheap thrills buy, bar none. I recently spotted them marked down to just $3 on Ulta, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't immediately fearful of it being discontinued. If you'll need me, I'll be adding all of my favorite hues to cart.”
— Karina
Sally Hansen Insta Dri Nail Color, $, available at Ulta

OUAI Rose Hair + Body Oil
“I am a huge fan of multi-purpose moisturizers, and when our beauty editor Karina introduced me to Ouai’s rose-scented hair and body oil, I became a devotee almost immediately. If you’re a rose-notes enthusiast — as I am! — you will, like me, slather this lightweight and super-moisturizing oil all over your skin and tresses with glee. I use a single pump for my face, so I'm pretty sure these three fluid ounces are going to last a minute. Final (temporary) bonus: it’s on sale at Urban Outfitters right now! Run, don't walk!”
— Emily
Ouai Rose Hair + Body Oil, $, available at Urban Outfitters

Wild One Twist Toss
“As a proud new dog mom, I've been on the hunt for toys that would keep my sweet little 7-month old adoptee safely occupied (while still looking stylish inside my space). Wild One, not unsurprisingly, saved my butt with its Twist Toss toy — the little nugget comes in an array of matte-chic shades, is compact, durable, incognito, and can be stuffed with enough treats to keep a pup busy for hours.”
— Liz
Wild One Twist Toss, $, available at Wild One

Beekeeper's Naturals Propolis Spray
"I can not put this stuff in my cart fast enough."— Marissa
Beekeeper's Naturals Propolis Spray, $, available at Verishop

Lovard Horse Chestnut Pendant
“This spiky pendant from Lovard was inspired by a horse chestnut. (I had to look it up, too — it’s a relative of the lychee fruit.) I love the texture and high-quality 18K gold plating — this is definitely going into the rotation.”— Emily
Lovard Horse Chestnut Necklace, $, available at Lovard

Slit Front Pants
"Last week, Emily put together a story about black legging outfits and the opener image was a photo of British Vogue editor Sarah Harris at Paris Fashion Week wearing a chic pair of front-slit hem pants. I've been looking for a pair like them without much luck for months. (Had to return these from Mango — good quality but way too long on my 5'1" frame.) This inexpensive pair from Shein seems worth the gamble. They've got great reviews and the cropped length will likely be regular length on my short legs."
— Marissa
SheIn Front Split Hem Pants, $, available at SheIn

Gibson & Dehn Norway Spruce Candle
“$40 for a candle isn't exactly cheap, but compared to other luxury brands, it’s a more reasonable entry point. I only have eyes for this Gibson & Dehn spruce candle, which is comparable in quality to its pricey competitors, checks all of the peak Cozy Fall Candle boxes, and comes in a gorgeous, upcycle-able glass votive.”
— Karina
Gibson & Dehn Norway Spruce Single Wick Candle, $, available at Neiman Marcus

Burrow Nomad Leather 5-Seat Corner
“OK, I know it’s a little on the pricy side, but look at how roomy yet undeniably sleek this modern, L-shaped sofa seat is! We love this high-quality direct-to-consumer furniture brand for reasons of both price and design, and its newly launched sectionals are giving us a major home-upgrade itch. Word to the wise: they’re also running a buy more, save more sale right now, for a limited time.”
— Liz
Burrow Nomad Leather 5-Seat Corner Sectional, $, available at Burrow

Everlane Corduroy Chore Jacket
We recently crowned the shirt-jacket hybrid a Fall must-have, so I’m now fully committed to finding a cool and cozy one. Everlane just re-cut a slew of their best-selling styles in comfy, autumnal corduroy — and at less than $80, the cord version of their much-loved Chore Jacket seems like the best combination of quality and price.”
— Emily
Everlane The Corduroy Chore Jacket, $, available at Everlane

Girlfriend Collective Paloma Sports Bra
After seeing so many street-style stars pulling off bra tops this NYFW, I’m on the hunt for one to wear under a blazer or a button-down with high-waisted pants while the weather (if not the calendar) is still in summer mode. However, I’m not one to go straight-up lingerie a la Sue Ellen Mischke, so I’m in the market for something on the more supportive end of the spectrum. This supremely eco-friendly cropped sports bra from Girlfriend Collective will most definitely do the trick, and plus I can wear it for “workouts” (walking six blocks to the get coffee) on the weekend.
— Emily
Girlfriend Collective Cropped Paloma Sports Bra, $, available at Verishop

The Drop Avalon Dumpling Tote
I am obsessed with so-called “dumpling” bags: those soft, smallish, pouch-like top-handle purses that resemble my favorite appetizer. Amazon’s limited-edition, influencer-curated “The Drop” collection boasts an adorable, perfectly red style for a reasonable $39 that I have my eye on. If you’re worried about the limited selling period for these countdown-clock collections, don’t be — this handbag is part of The Drop’s permanently available “Staples” collection.
— Emily
The Drop Avalon Shopper Tote Bag, $, available at Amazon

H&M Studio Satin Blouse
I desperately need an autumnal answer to the white poplin-button down shirt uniform that I wore to death this summer. I think I’ll switch to something satiny — specifically, this mustard-colored, structured-shoulder blouse from H&M’s legitimately cool — but still very reasonably priced — A/W ’19 studio collection.
— Emily
H&M Satin Blouse, $, available at H&M
Allbirds Trino Hiders
For me, fall is LOAFER SEASON! I can’t wait to start wearing my way through a far-too-numerous collection of brogues, oxfords, and Weejuns that I have amassed over the years. And I need a really solid assortment of no-show socks to pair with this footwear. Allbirds’ recently-released “Hiders” are possibly the softest and most luxurious-feeling socks that I have ever had the pleasure of wearing. They’re made from a proprietary fabric material that the brand is calling Trino — a blend of breathable, moisture-wicking merino and their signature renewable “tree” Tencel. All this for $12? I’m stocking up.
— Emily
Allbirds Trino™ Hiders, $, available at Allbirds

Benefit Cookie Highlighter
"While the blindingly bright, Instagram highlight isn't my thing, I do enjoy a little strategically-placed glow on my cheekbones. Benefit's new boxed highlighter is the prettiest shade of pale gold — perfect for my olive skin — and is among the most pigmented powders I've ever tried. I'm sure that it'll be a very long time before I hit pan."
— Karina Hoshikawa, Beauty and Wellness Market Writer
Benefit Cosmetics Cookie Highlighter, $, available at Sephora

Bumble and bumble Bb. Glow Thermal Protection Mist
"Clearly I've had all things glowy on the mind this month. While I don't heat style my hair daily, this multitasking mist has become a new favorite. It's part of Bumble and bumble's new Glow range, inspired by the idea of imparting a highlighter-like healthy shine to your hair, and in addition to shielding your strands from heat damage, it works as a de-frizzer and smoothing spray."
— Karina
Bumble and bumble Bb. Glow Thermal Protection Mist, $, available at Ulta Beauty

Hipdot Elle Palette
"I hoard neutral eyeshadow palettes like it's my job — which, I guess it sort of is? — but this new Hipdot palette has me close to Marie Kondo-ing my stash and just. keeping. this. one. The silky-matte shadows are perfect for creating a warm, subtle look, but the top row features some party-ready pressed glitters in the event that I want to have some fun with my makeup. In the words of one Hannah Montana, it's truly the best of both worlds."
— Karina
HIPDOT Elle Palette, $, available at HIPDOT

Mango Wool-Blend Blazer
"I'm always impressed by the quality of Mango's tailored pieces. I've yet to retire any of the blazers I have previously purchased at the affordable retailer — they last! This newly added structured wool-blend blazer is the investment piece that you can wear at least once a week from now through April. Also, whoever styled Lineisy Montero for this campaign shot knows that cool gray and warm brown is an understated winning color combo."
— Marissa
Mango Structured Textured Blazer, $, available at Mango

Pre-Owned Courrèges Saddle Bag
"Handbags aren't something that I go cheap on but that doesn't mean it has to cost a lot. I'm an advocate of buying pre-loved designer and vintage styles — especially when I have my mind set on a specific shape or current It bag. You can always find what you're looking for on eBay. For example, when I was in Paris for fashion week last season I begrudgingly fell in love with a *new* Celine bag. The small Besace 16 saddle bag style is perfectly pastoral in every way and also costs $2,150. Do I get a knockoff? Heck no! Into the archives for me to find a distant cousin from the past a la this Courrèges beauty from the '70s for a cool $38."
— Marissa
Courrèges Pre-owned Leather Saddle Bag, $, available at eBay
Adina's Jewels Herringbone Choker
"I have not taken this necklace off since the day I got it. The sterling silver/14K gold plated herringbone choker is the perfect layering piece and works with my fine jewelry and costume stuff equally. I get asked about it at least once a day and I thoroughly enjoy spreading the word on the young, plucky designer behind Adina's Jewels."
— Marissa
Adina's Jewels Herringbone Necklace in Gold Vermeil, $, available at Nordstrom

Wildist Natural Toothpaste
"The etymology behind the name of new e-tailer Verishop is "verified" and "shop" — a direct swing at a certain Amazonian-sized site that has a difficult time controlling some of its third-party goods. Verishop stands behind authenticity and responsible shopping. I especially like the choice of stocking natural toothpaste brand, Wildist. Does this product fall into the bucket of 'item I never knew I needed until I happened on its pretty-packaged ways?' Yep. But, my tiny bathroom sink is a little fancier thanks to this delightful oral hygiene routine-enhancing good and that makes me and my dentist happy."
— Marissa
Wildist Dreamomile Toothpaste, $, available at Verishop

ROEN Amber Jar Candle
As sad as I am that summer is officially over, I am starting to get excited about all things fall. This coconut wax candle has notes of balsam fir, fig leaf, sandalwood and amber for a fragrance that's perfectly autumn-inspired.
— Amanda Randone, Fashion and Lifestyle Contributor
Roen Amber Jar Candle, $, available at Anthropologie

Jonathan Adler Open And Shut Sheet Set
I've been learning a lot about the mystical powers of symbols like the evil eye, so when I found Jonathan Adler's take on the motif in the form of a sheet set, I had to have it.
— Amanda
Jonathan Adler Open and Shut Sheet Set, $, available at Amazon

La Colombe Oatmilk Draft Latte
La Colombe just launched the canned coffee beverage of my dreams: a frothy draft latte made from oat milk. It's the perfect, barista-quality afternoon pick-me-up that I can take with me and enjoy right from my desk.
— Amanda
La Colombe Oatmilk Draft Latte, $, available at La Colombe

Tamara Mellon x Paravel Packing Cubes
Packing has become significantly less stressful now that I have a set of Tamara Mellon x Paravel shoe cubes. They keep my suitcase organized and my shoes protected.— Amanda
Paravel Shoe Cube Duo, $, available at Tamara Mellon
mDesign Bath Runner
“Yes, this is a bathmat MVP. Why? Because, as it turns out, attractive bath runners for attractive prices are not easy to come by. After hunting my way across lifestyle sites, I struck gold with this chic, well under-$50 number from Amazon. It's top-rated, plush af under my toes, and comes in a subtle pink hue that elevates my bathroom's dark not-so-spa-like atmosphere.”
— Liz Buxton, Lifestyle Market Editor
mDesign 100% Cotton Bath Runner, $, available at Amazon
Philips Sunrise Simulator Alarm Clock
“I kissed harsh, siren-alarms goodbye a long time ago and traded them in for a more peaceful wake-by-sunshine routine. Since my city bedroom gets not an inch of sunlight, I rely on this genius clock apparatus that gradually wakes me through a sunrise-simulating process. There's also an option to layer in the sound of birds chirping, if you want to go full Disney-princess style with your mornings.”
— Liz
Philips Wake-Up Light Sunrise-Sunset Alarm Simulator, $, available at Walmart
BAGGU Go Pouch Set
“I honestly use this colorful, multi-sized pouch trio for everything. Casual poolside clutch? Check. Travel makeup bag or tech accessory organizer? Check, check. Extra barrier between my packed lunch and my work bag? CHECK. They are minimalist, durable, and you can throw them in the wash when they get tired from all their hard tote #werk.”
— Liz
Baggu Go Pouch Set, $, available at Amazon
Martha Stewart Cast-Iron Dutch Oven
“This is an investment piece that — if you like to cook — does pay off, especially heading into fall (a.k.a. soup season). It's a timeless kitchen staple that: lasts a lifetime; transitions from stovetop to oven with graceful ease; whips up everything from baked pastas to stews, casseroles, and even desserts; looks good just sitting on your kitchen counter doing nothin' at all; and can usually be found on sale from your favorite retailers at any given moment.”
— Liz
Martha Stewart Enameled Cast Iron Round 6-Qt. Dutch Oven, $, available at Macy's
Urban Outfitters Velvet Body Pillow
“Decor-piece by day, sleep-essential by night: this luxe body pillow provides my aging body (that recently decided to start aching/going numb in certain sleep positions) the soft spooning-support it needs. Plus, the mauve-velvet for fall is major.”
— Liz
Urban Outfitters Velvet Body Pillow, $, available at Urban Outfitters
Dickies Straight Leg Carpenter Pant
“I’ve watched rugged, workwear-inspired designs gain traction with wish-list brands like Lorod, Ganni, and Calvin Klein’s 205W37NYC imprint, who peddle conceptually contrast-stitched separates that retail in the upper $300s. My little secret? You can get these workhorse trousers from the streetwear/uniform stalwart Dickies for a mere $60.”
— Emily
Dickies Straight-Leg Carpenter Pant, $, available at Urban Outfitters
Golden Ponies Binocular Oval Box Bag
“This multifunctional top-handle-meets-cross-body bag was inspired by a vintage binocular case and comes in a paralyzing nine on-trend colors (including the option for a custom colorway). Handmade by a small, Guadalajara, Mexico-based brand, this unique indie design can be had for under $50. I’m showcasing the lavender option here, but I may go back to the drawing board and opt for the mustard yellow or tortoiseshell patent color for fall.”
— Emily
Golden Ponies Binocular Oval Box Crossbody Bag, $, available at Etsy
Soko Horn Drop Earrings
“I find that high quality, artisan-made goods usually come with a hefty price tag (and rightfully so). Soko’s earthy and glamorous jewels are no exception — every bauble is made by craftspeople in Kenya using locally sourced and sustainable materials — but the brand has a strong commitment to keeping their price point accessible. The results are luxurious and elegant adornments that clock in at very reasonable retails — like these horn and brass earrings for $64.”
— Emily
Soko Horn Pia Threader Earrings, $, available at Soko
Rollas East Coast Flare Corduroys
“I know, I know — these '70s-inspired flares come dangerously close to our price cap at $99. But hear me out, because I think that the throwback designs of this Australian denim brand are the best thing since sliced bread. Rarely breaking the $100 mark, Rollas offers the retro flavor that I’m always combing vintage stores for, but at a fit and price point that’s always predictable — unlike the grab bag of silhouettes that come with the secondhand options.”
— Emily
Rolla's East Coast Cord Flare Pants, $, available at Free People
Shinola Canfield On-Ear Headphones
“When Detroit-based luxury craftsmanship brand Shinola came out with their Canfield headphones two years back, despite customers and reputable tech outlets like PC Mag giving it high scores for ‘its crisp, detailed audio performance...and handsome design,’ there was a resounding groan at the $350 price tag. But, if you’re like me and can care less about having the newest tech product on the market, then you’re in luck — these gorgeous (yep, I’m describing a pair of headphones as gorgeous) are now 75% off on Nordstrom Rack. Scoop ’em up before they’re gone forever. Seriously — the stock is running low.”
— Marissa Rosenblum, Senior Shopping Director
Shinola On-Ear Headphones, $, available at Nordstrom Rack
Mango Faux Pearl Pendant Necklace
“I have two fine gold chains that I wear every day but love to layer fun, costume necklaces and quirky charms into the mix on a whim. And while I do believe in investing in precious jewelry that you’ll keep for life, I do not spend on the trendy stuff. This faux pearl mini strand is so sweet — a perfect addition to the neck party. Our fashion contributor Amanda Randone recently wrote about the evil eye amulet origins so this piece is really resonating with me.”
— Marissa
Mango Nacre Pendant Necklace, $, available at Mango
Superga 2555 Cotu Sneaker
“Last year I became obsessed with bumper shoes. It’s one of those features that hurts the eye the first few times you see it, then gradually grows into acceptance, then somehow evolves into major longing. I don’t know why the bumper shoe is so appealing to me. It can certainly be described subjectively as “ugly” and perhaps that's what it's all about. Jil Sander has them for $660, Marni makes a pair priced at $750. I quite like this Superga style that rings in at $49.99.”
— Marissa
Superga Cotu Sneaker, $, available at Urban Outfitters
Nike Boys’ Dry Short Sleeve Swoosh Tee
“Picture this: a shrunken athletic logo T-shirt (the boys section is the perfect resource) worn under a soft, houndstooth wool blazer paired with stiff, straight-leg jeans and a pair of comfy leather boots. It’s already autumn in this sartorial scenario.”
— Marissa
Nike Boys' Dry Short Sleeve Swoosh Tee, $, available at Amazon
Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Night Oil
“I'm fully convinced that this stuff is made with angel tears, because I've never used a face oil that leaves my skin looking makeup-optional by morning. And while retinol is a great ingredients to ward off premature signs of aging, it's also done wonders for my acne-prone skin, thanks to its mild exfoliating properties. Also, my skin drinks up the blue tansy and chia seed oils, leaving it looking glowy AF.”
— Karina Hoshikawa, Beauty and Wellness Market Writer
Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Night Oil, $, available at Ulta Beauty
Supernal Cosmic Glow Oil
"In addition to being the chicest bottle of face oil potentially ever, Supernal's Cosmic Glow Oil has become a saving grace for my oily, acne-prone complexion. It's packed with a cocktail of non-comedogenic oils — a.k.a., it won't make you break out — and helps soothe and soften skin by morning."
— Karina
Supernal Cosmic Glow Oil, $, available at Credo
Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer
“I know: $50 is a lot to spend on a very tiny pot of foundation...or is it a concealer? Either way, Kevyn Aucoin’s cult-favorite complexion product defies conventional makeup categorization by working as a super-pigmented concealer — seriously, a tiny dot is all you need for your entire face, not exaggerating — or mixed into your favorite face cream to transform it into a bespoke tinted moisturizer. Again, I can’t reiterate how tiny the jar is, but I’ll bet anyone it’ll take a long, long time to get close to finishing it.”
— Karina
Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer, $, available at DermStore
Sigma Beauty Best of Sigma Brush Set
“A great brush set can last you years with proper care and use. I love Sigma Beauty’s edited brush sets because they’re great quality while being relatively affordable — sorry, Hakuhodo — and synthetic, antimicrobial fibers mean that no furry friends were harmed in the making of your beauty tools.”
— Karina
Sigma Beauty Best of Sigma Brush Set, $, available at Sigma Beauty
from Refinery29
The Shopping Team’s October Under-$100 MVPs (Most Valuable Products)
Reviewed by streakoggi
on
October 08, 2019
Rating:
